Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Mexican Food in Bogotá: High-brow and low-brow

For the majority of my time here in Bogotá, I have lived with the belief that I simply will not find good Mexican food. For a girl from the West Coast, this has not been an fact to swallow. Luckily, I have proven wrong by two friends, and although it´s not L.A. taco trucks, it will hold me over until my next trip home...

Agave Azul
: High-end, creative Mexican food is served at this tiny restaurant in the Macarena. It only has a few small tables but a large reputation, so I would recommend making reservations unless you come early or late.

The friendly owners spend a few months a year traveling around Mexico, so their chilies and mescal are authentic and always changing. The night I went there was no menu, but the chef continued to bring out small dishes including grilled scallops and shrimp tacos in authentic tortillas.

It´s not cheap, but for a cozy, intimate evening it is one of the best restaurants I´ve stumbled across in Bogotá.

Calle 26a no. 3-05
Bogotá
Tel. #: 315.277.0329


Sara´s For a cheaper option (and decidedly less healthy), but authentic and delicious nonetheless, try Sara´s, a popular lunch spot in Quinto Camacho.

The owner is from Mexico City, and his hot sauce (it´s actually spicy!) proves it. I can vouch for the nachos and the burritos, which are filling, and the hibiscus and tamarind juices are sweet just like off the streets of Mexico.


Calle 71 no. 9-55
Bogotá
Tel. #: 317.4500
delivery for 1,000 pesos

No comments:

Post a Comment